Monday, November 29, 2004

Sacred Harp!

I have renewed my obsession with Shape Note singing—it must be in my roots. If you want to hear some music that is incomparably passionate, manically enthusiastic, totally unrefined, raucous, poorly recorded, repetitive, and unabashedly white (No complaints now, I gave you fair warning!) while still managing to praise God, go here and click to hear some of the mp3s. If you want to reproduce this type of music yourself, go here. If you're interested in the history, visit this site. Shape note singing is an Appalachian tradition- the notes on the page are different shapes to help people learn to read music. It's generally out of tune (like bluegrass, which is from the same area), because the people singing it aren't trained musicians, and the intervals tend toward open fifths—a very medieval feature. Anyway, if that description doesn't sound interesting you probably won't like it. It sure is very enthusiastic, though.

9 comments:

Joel A. Shaver said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joel A. Shaver said...

I especially recommend this one:

mp3jpeg

Tia said...

I can only say what my first violin teacher said about my father's $150 violin/bow/case purchase. "Well, it's loud." And, to quote Bryan: "Drunken gregorian chanting." :-D

robb said...

what is this madness?

Joel A. Shaver said...

It's not madness... It's CULTURE!

Ethan said...

Wow! That is something. Its almost like chanting.

Heather said...

Joel, your blog is boring and stagnant. You have been extremely successful.

Anonymous said...

I'm not very anonymous. I'm Youssef, though when people misspell my name it kind of looks like Anonymous.
Bing-bong. I found your website. Consider yourself the target of a new reader.

Katherine said...

well I like it. It's really cool! Like old tyme praises from the puritans. (I've heard what their music sounds like, and it's somewhat similar, but they sing actual hymns ans such) THe only thing I would say is that it's too long of the same thing. there isn't enough variety in it. I'll look past the lack of intonation and poor diction.