Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Army Fashion

I went into a military surplus store near my flat today. At first it seemed much like most U.S. military stores, until I noticed the total absence of anything dangerous. No Sheffield service knives, no machetes, hatchets... I think they might have sold kitchen matches.

They had those cool British army sweaters-- the kind with reinforced shoulders and elbows. I think I'll buy one, but I have to decide whether I want army or navy (drab or blue). Suggestions?

The British call sweaters "jumpers," but the idea of an Army jumper strikes me as a terrible juxtaposition. The sight of tough British troops advancing
resolutely in pinafores is certainly an intimidating prospect, but I think the reason is other than they intend. Luckily for me, when I buy one, I think I'm allowed to substitute the word "jersey" if I'm too embarrassed.

May I also take this opportunity to recommend Victory Lozenges! Forged for strength! I don't know if they're helping my cold, but they sure taste nice.

7 comments:

robb said...

navy.

joelsdad said...

Army surplus lozenges? Yuck!

Justin said...

Umm....drab.

Isaiah Eyre said...

Yeah, drab... totally drab. I can't see you in blue.

Anonymous said...

Jumpers in the U.S. are called "bunny wabbitts".

Really, no need to thank me.
Jamie's Dad

Mark said...

drab

berets.in said...

Are you looking for Army caps Head gears anything related to army apparels you can purchase from us D.V. Saharan And Son
You can check out there website also : Army Uniforms India