Friday, September 30, 2005

The Uni

Sorry not to have posted in a few days... I have a story of what I hope the rest of the year will be like.

I arrived at 12 University Gardens, Rm 1 for my History of Enlish Language class, as indicated on my schedule, only to find that I had the wrong room. Luckily, my adviser, Jeremy Smith, was on his way out to teach the lecture and he informed me that it was to be held in a mysterious auditorium known only as "The Gloag." This is the sort of information I like to hear, as, of course, there has never been any sort of information session informing us how to find rooms on campus solely on the basis of arcane naming schemes; neither do any of these names appear on any map of the University (of which there are precious few, may I add!).

I followed Jeremy across the campus, and into one of the buildings that he informed me used to be the private residence of one of the University's original 12 professors. Three right turns, a hallway, and a staircase later, we were faced by a door with a timeworn plaque reading "The Gloag." I only hope I can find it on my own next time...

Here are a couple of pictures I've taken of the University's main building and tower. It was built in the mid-19th century to look old, so don't be deceived.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Hi Joel! I haven't had my blog that long really. I hope you are having a great time in Scotland; it's just not the same here without you. The pictures you've taken are so beautiful. I hope you have a great weeked.

Justin said...

You know how I know I'm cool? I've posted on my blog more recently than you have. That never happens.

Joel A. Shaver said...

Yeah I pretty much haven't done anything in a week. It's not that I'm withholding information... I guess that does make you cool.