Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Favourite Colour is Granola

Update on muffins (17 June 08): This batch of muffins was seriously THE BEST muffins EVER. Unbelievable. The three of us in the house this week have exercised such amazing self-control to not indulge and eat them all when the others are out of the house. I remembered I added almond and vanilla extract. The almond extract turned out to be the perfect amount (I just kind of start pouring and stop eventually so not sure on the measurements). And I forgot to tell you, instead of the struesel, I added a mixture of oats and brown sugar (half and half), which ended up being delicious but not quite as gorgeous as the photo which doesn't have a topping at all. The muffins are really really moist and oh so delicious. Oh, and here's the recipe link for Jessie.

Well guys, we've been cooking more and more lately! This week has been pretty full of culinarities, some common and some a bit unusual for us.

I just finished a batch of Blueberry Streusel Muffins, minus the streusel this time. I have used this recipe over and over and it is the best muffin recipe! It's so easy to interchange it and adapt it to whatever kind of muffin you want. I've made chocolate with chocolate chunks, lemon poppyseed, and of course the blueberry. I added a couple of tablespoons of wheat germ this time, because hey, why not? We can feel a bit healthy and enjoy our muffins at the same time, eh? Wow, look at that beautiful juicy blueberryness just waiting to burst in your mouth.. mmmmm. Blueberries.

I made another batch of granola yesterday (how fast did we go through that last batch?!?). This time I put in less rye flakes and less pearl barley flakes. I added some wheat germ (yes, we're regular!), and some linseed. I also added peanut butter, which adds a beautiful friendliness to the whole experience. In general it turned out okay, but I think it would have been better if I had baked it on a lower heat for a bit longer. I think it got a bit overdone. It's still good, and I like all the different seeds and such. It makes me feel so healthy and nourished! mmmmm. Granola.

Our friends Wheaton and Jessica have this idea that Joel is a hippy. Where did they get that idea - the bell bottoms? the earth tones? the subtle smell of patchouli? The obsession with incense? the tie-dye? I'm not sure what gave them that conclusion, but anyway, Wheaton and Joel have agreed that Joel's favourite colour is granola.

5 comments:

Jessie said...

I like granola too!

Recipe for muffin? Please?

They do look mighty tasty.

Am baking a rhubarb pie for Robb's birthday. Wish you guys could join in celebration with a slice of pie...

Uilleam Alba Mac Gafraidh said...

Awwwwwwwwww, not a bad colour to have. Say Hi to W&J from us, we do miss them!

DaviMack said...

I think that you need a Volkswagen van to be a proper hippie. ;) The muffins look yummy!

cyrstreow said...

A hippie van running on biodiesel would totally be the thing you need. And those muffins look like the perfect roadtrip food :x

Jessie said...

Thank you!