Saturday, September 13, 2008

Cold Ham Water With Dill Garnish

If you have been paying attention to this blog in the last several months, you may have come under the impression that Heather is the only gourmet in our household. This impression is mistaken; I'm actually the more talented chef, and today I'd like to share one of my favorite recipes with you. Cold Ham Water is a variation on a popular recipe, which I first heard about on my favorite cooking show. This is a much simpler version, however, which doesn't require special 'water boiling' equipment.

Cold Ham Water
Ingredients:

  • Water (cold)*
  • Ham (thinly sliced)**
Dill Garnish:
  • Dill (garnish)
Directions:
  1. Place ham in water-tight tray or bowl.
  2. Add cold water (to taste)
  3. Garnish with dill
*If cold tap water is not available, refrigerate warm or lukewarm water overnight until cold.
**I used 'cooked ham' sandwich meat, but 'smoked' or 'honey glazed' will also work.

I should mention that I discovered this recipe inadvertently due to a steady drip in the ceiling of our refrigerator.

9 comments:

DaviMack said...

Heather: please convince Joel that refrigerator-water isn't a condiment.

Joel: you realize that you're pulling out all of the excess sodium, when they've gone to such trouble to inject it into the poor piggie as part of the packaging process? Careful - you might not develop high blood pressure if you keep this kind of thing going.

Lynne' said...

Soooooo... how do you use the "cold ham water with dill garnish"? Just curious. :)

Youssef Sleiman said...

Umm... could you use it as floor cleaner?

Youssef Sleiman said...

Oooh I know! ... oh wait.. that would only work if you thickened it.. never mind.

DaviMack said...

Oh - I missed that. It's the water which is the dish, is it? The ham is merely part of the production process? Well, then, that's a whole 'nother story, isn't it?

Maybe it should have an umbrella in it, if it's really a drink.

Joel A. Shaver said...

@Youssef & Lynne': It's food! You eat it! MMMm.

@D: More of a soup or consommé, though I would still not object to an umbrella, just to keep the sun off.

Lynne' said...

I do beg to differ. Water isn't "food" and you can't "eat" it. You could drink it of course, but there is always the broth type possibility too that would turn it into "food" as it would be mixed with other thing sin a soup or something. That was my question. Not if it was edible, but rather in what way would it be consumed. Alone in a glass? In a soup... personally I think you could make it into ice cubes.

(Love the links! So hilarious!)

Anonymous said...

It has a smack of ham in it!
~Lindsey Bluth

Shelley said...

Ok fine, maybe it wasn't Lindsey. I think it was Buster...