Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mayonnaise

I made homemade mayonnaise yesterday. If you don't know me well enough, this is basically equivalent to a vegetarian making a steak dinner. I don't eat mayonnaise. I don't even like it having a presence in our (very small) fridge. HOWEVER I do put Joel's happiness above my own discomfort, and Joel loves his mayonnaise. Thus our fridge is a mayonnaise-friendly fridge.

Since coming to terms with the fact that we will most likely always be a mayonnaise-keeping family, I have come to the conclusion that if we must have mayonnaise, then at least we can have non-preservative laden mayonnaise, with minimal cost and in controllable amounts. By making a small batch, I am restricting it's fridge presence while contributing to Joel's happiness. Wow this post is getting way too long for something talking about mayonnaise...

Anyway I made mayonnaise. It took me like 5 minutes, looks pretty much like crap, so I guess it's about right, and cost nothing. We had all the ingredients in the kitchen. Now, as I've told Joel, it's only a matter of creativity before I can vary it up by making garlic mayonnaise or something.

Here's the recipe I used. Dead simple. Don't support the mayonnaise industry! Make your own instead!

Mayonnaise (based on a few recipes, among them this one)

Mix one egg, 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or vinegar), 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and about 1/2-1 teaspoon dry mustard.

When this is mixed, gradually add in 1 Cup of oil (I used 1/2 olive oil, 1/2 sunflower). As you keep mixing it magically turns into the congealed mass of white known as mayonnaise.

6 comments:

Jessie said...

hurrah! you created an inverted oil-in-water emulsion. if you want i could give you a whole food science demonstration about how awesome mayo is. personally, i don't like it (texture, wigglying and all) but i think mayo is brilliant. :)

Lynne' said...

Have you ever tried a substitute called "Veganyse" or something like that... it's made from some sort of seed or something, but I thought it tasted better and didn't have that lugubriousness of normal mayo that I'm not so thrilled with either. :) The consistency is right only better.. and it tastes right.. only better too.. so.. hence, I like it better.

Anonymous said...

Ah...the sacrifices we make for those we love!

Your recipe looks like the same one I used when we were in Ecuador (in another century). Couldn't buy mayo there! Yeah...it really took me by surprise the first time I made it. I couldn't picture how it was going to turn white and creamy with the stuff I was supposed to make it with, and then...Voila! There it was!

Mom Shaver

Heather said...

Ha ha, it's awesome having a food science person here, Jessie. It is pretty unbelievable. I guess I've never spent much of my valuable thoughts on mayo.. :-)

Never tried Veganyse. I don't like any of it, I'm sure, and I have no desire to start liking mayo or anything that tries to resemble it. And Joel is quite happy with mayo itself, so don't think we'll ever get around to trying it! I'm sure it's better for you though. Lugubriousness wins the word of the day award!

The miracles of mayonnaise. Who knew?!

DaviMack said...

Congrats! I'm happy it didn't break on you!

Meat - just cause we don't eat it doesn't mean we can't do a good job of cooking it. ;)

DaviMack said...

And veganaise? Great stuff - and doesn't taste all eggy (which, given, you'd only get if you'd been avoiding eggs for a while, and had managed to develop a sensitive palate).