Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Our habit

Many mornings a week, right around the time the baby starts to show she's ready for her first nap, I bundle us up, put her in the carrier, tie on my walkin' shoes, and head out. We walk to Twin Ponds Park, just a few blocks away from home. Once we enter the park, our walk is through the Trail of Cedars, between the two ponds full of ducks, around the soccer field, over the bridge where we hear all sorts of birds we don't know how to identify, through the 'Future Community Garden'* space, around the always-empty tennis court, all over the arboretum, and then back around one of the ponds and back through the Trail of Cedars, to back home. The baby is usually asleep by the "between the two ponds" part, and stays asleep until we reach our door, and my rhythmic walking stops.

Setting out, it is clear we are not out of the urban jungle yet, if you spy the graffiti. Baby Marie's hat is one that was made for one of my brothers when they were a baby - anyone know who knit it? I suspect Grandma Berwold.

Baby woke up earlier than usual this day, and took in some of the return walk.

*I will know Thursday if I get a spot in the Community Garden. I hope so!

5 comments:

Alissa said...

What time do you usually go...maybe David and I could join you one day? I'd like to get together again soon!

Natalie Minnich said...

what a lovely routine! I can't wait to get rid of the last of this snow and ice so we can walk some more too. Hope you get your garden spot. Sounds like tons of fun. Daniel and the girls started some Jelepenos and Sweet peppers the other day. Soon to follow will be cucumbers and once the snow is gone, green beans and lettuce!

Heather said...

That would be awesome, Alissa! Usually around 10ish.

Sounds like good starts for the garden, Natalie! Maybe I should try cucumbers this year. That'd be nice.

lenorediviney said...

I am so loving getting to see your little one grow!

Anonymous said...

Heather, I remember Jeff wearing that hat when he was very little. I believe Grandma Ruthie made it.

DAD