Sunday, April 03, 2005

Please pass the bureaucracy? Or have someone do it...

Here is an anecdote from my new place of occupation.

The other day, I was sitting at my desk in the Health Sciences building, working, and the phone rang. I answered it "Classroom services," as I was accustomed to do.
"Hi," said the voice on the other end. "We're having a blood drive over here in the lobby, and we can't really see what we're doing. Could you turn on the rest of the fluorescent lights for us?"
"I'll see what I can do," I answered. I asked my co-worker Joe if I could go down and do that for them.
"No," he said, "I think the Physical Plant handles lights."
"So should I call them?" I asked.
"Yeah... You could probably do that."
Then I called the Physical Plant. "Physical plant," the lady said.
"Hi, this is Joel in classroom services," I began, "and I'm calling regarding a request I've just received to turn on the rest of the lights in the Health Sciences lobby for a blood drive they're having. They can't really see what they're doing."
"The lobby? Man! I put in a work order a week ago to have those turned on."
"Oh... Right..."
"They're on break now, so they won't be able to turn on the lights until 10:00..."
"I guess that will be fine," I said, and promptly hung up the phone in amazement at the mass amounts of eerie glowing crimson tape suddenly spilling out from the phone and inundating my desk.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Ha ha aa... no one reads your blog anymore, so you don't have any comments!! That's too bad - there's lots of good stories on here!

Kenton Finkbeiner said...

Since Heather was bashing your blog I thought that I would write something.

I check Joel's blog daily, and I am constantly disapointed that there isnt anything new. I probably post more than anyone I know... I hope people are reading mine....Joel I got a telescope....

I feel your pain about the red tape.....i swim through olympic sized pools of the stuff on a daily occurence....

Kenton

Ethan said...

Hey Joel, check your email! Or, if you are refusing to respond to my attempts to reach you, please tell me what I have done to offend you. Please accept my apology in advance.